14 Mar 2014
How to Create Smart Folders
Many eM Client users are unaware of all the features available with this email client. One of these features is smart folders.
Regular folders are those that you drag files or emails to and can do whatever you'd like with them manually. Smart folders work by themselves. They hold files and emails that are automatically placed in them.
So let's say you want to have all of your emails from your boss automatically deposited into a folder that has a title of Boss Emails, you can simply have this done, and check that folder for all new emails from him or her. That means your primary inbox will remain free of work emails from your boss, and you can take care of his or her requests at your leisure.
This is such a great feature to have because you can create a folder for just about any part of your life. You can have one for family, friends, sports, clubs, etc. It's the automated way to organize your online communication.
How to Set It Up
Setting up smart folders is easy. All you have to do is create rules for the folders.
- Go to Tools and click on Rules.
- On the right side of the window, click on New Rule.
- Click on “After message has been received.” And then click on Next on the bottom of the window.
- On the next window, click on “from people” and then choose Next.
- On the next window, click on “move to folder” and then choose Next. This window is for exceptions. If you want important emails to still go to your inbox, you can add whatever criteria that will signal eM Client that it's important. For example, if your boss always writes “Urgent” in the emails you need to take care of immediately, you can choose “except with words found in body or subject.”
- Once you get to this point, click on the hyperlinks and choose the settings such as the people (boss' email) and the folder you want the emails to go to. You'll notice the word received is hyperlinked. This is for people who want to create a rule that saves sent emails to a folder. If you just want your boss' email to go in the folder, leave it as is, but if you want both received and sent, all you have to do is create another rule for the sent ones.
- Once you are done with the settings, you can click Next.
- On the last window, you will give this rule a name. You can label it “Boss Email Smart Folder” or anything you would like, so you know what it is for to go in and make changes later on.
- When you're done naming it, go ahead and click Next.
- Your rule and smart folder is now set up. You can now wait until your boss sends an email to see how well it works.
Again, you can create smart folders for just about everything. Simply just follow the steps above, and you'll be set up to have all of your emails nicely organized just the way you need them to be.
Want to Delete a Smart Folder?
If you want to delete a Smart Folder, you can easily do that by first removing the rule for it. Click on Tools and Rules again. Click on the rule you want to remove. On the right side of the window, click on remove rule. Click on Yes to confirm the deletion of it, and you are all set.
All you have to do is remove the emails already in the smart folder by moving or deleting them. You can then delete the smart folder completely.
Want to Modify the Rule for the Smart Folder?
It's easy to change the rule for the smart folder. All you have to do is Click on Tools and then Rules. From there, click on rule you want to change, and then click on “Modify rule.” You can then go through the wizard and make the changes you need to.
<< Back to Blog